Monday, September 15, 2008

On: 'Ashes' by David Sedaris

Another story about losing a mother with a much different tone. I should begin by saying that I'm an avid Sedaris fan. Seen him live, listened to NPR, read most of what he's written, and seen his sister's (Amy) show Strangers With Candy. I love his writing style and am especially in love with the last part of the piece.

"I myself tend to dwell on the stupidity of pacing a cemetery while she sat, frightened and alone, staring at the tip of her cigarette and envisioning her self, clearly now, in ashes."

I think that part sums it up beautifully. Allowing the obvious regret seep in. Its interesting to think that the last story also coped with grief with detachment but did so by not recalling any memories of the deceased and dubbing people with nicknames. Here, Saderis does it with the East Coast mantra of affection being shameful. Still achieving the same result on how to grieve. They detach.

No comments: